Friday 13 July 2012

Interviews

At one point in our lives we'll have to go for an interview, but for the majority it's several, which often lead to several rejections too. Personally, I hate them, I turn into a blabbering idiot and I get so nervous that I end up speaking complete gibberish and don't even answer they question I'm being asked; which is probably why I don't have a proper job. But then again it's ok that I don't have a proper job yet; I'm still a university student, but if I ever become an adult in the 'real world' and I don't have a job then I'm going to have to kick myself. But if I don't then I'm sure my parents would.

With interviews it's not the rejection I'm scared of, it's the impression I make when I'm sitting there in front of a panel of however many people and I don't know what to say that will make me look better than everyone else; which is actually the whole point of an interview. Still need to master that! The questions they ask are pretty standard and I always get asked them, yet I still have no idea what to say. You'd think that after a few interviews, you'd get the hang of it, but not me. Apparently I can't master the art of interviews, yet for some other people it's natural. I have to admit that I'm quite jealous of those people that can remain calm and collected in interviews, because by contrast I'm just a nervous, sweaty mess.

I understand that employers have to interview people to find the best possible candidate, and I  really wish that was me, but unfortunately I still can't master the art of giving the best possible answer to questions I'm asked; I don't know if it's because my social skills are horrific, because I'm young, because I haven't been to many interviews or what, but I really need to sort myself out, otherwise how am I ever going to get a job?!

The thought of entering the 'real world' terrifies me, and it will continue to until the day I graduate. Even then I'll probably be more nervous, but for now I'll happily stay in education and stay out of a proper job for as long as possible.  That suits me just fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment